Wednesday, May 16, 2012

traveling light

This time tomorrow I will be on my flight to Santiago, Chile to begin my first study abroad trip. To say I'm in shock would be an understatement, at best. Naturally, I'm nowhere near packed and I'm not exactly sure what to expect. Maybe I've been putting off the actual process of packing because the disarming realization that I will be in a whole new world is starting to sink in. But, as foreign and scary as this is experience seems right now, maybe I need to be challenged in a big way. Maybe it's time for me to drop everything I know and dive head first into a new adventure but before I can do that I need to get over the first obstacle: packing.

I'm surprised at how fast time seems to fly by when you have an empty suitcase waiting for you. As much as I would love to snap my fingers and see everything just hop in, I know that time is no longer of the essence and that I must pack up 5 weeks worth of winter apparel into one suitcase which is proving to be mission impossible. Even though I'll be living by the beach, something I've never done before, I'm still debating whether or not to bring a bathing suit in the middle of winter. Is it bad that "you only live once" is persuading me to just pack it? I guess it'll be a learning experience either way!

My last day in America consisted of running errands and spending time with friends and family. I aimlessly wondered through the aisles of Target as I hunted down the perfect gifts for each of the 5 members of my host family. Clearly out of touch with the younger generation, I sifted through numerous bins of little trinkets for my future roommates, ranging from ages 10 to 6 and compiled an interesting gift assortment for them. Hopefully they can appreciate the small things? I tried to find as many things that represent Texas but you would be surprised by how tacky some of the Lone Star State paraphernalia is that sits out on the shelves. I was relatively disappointed with the selection but I made it work as best as I could and called it day with my shopping.

As I walked through the front door and I was excitedly greeted by my dogs, I grew oddly sentimental about the comfort of this routine. What will my host family be like? Will I feel this welcomed every time I come back from a day of classes and mission work? These questions race through my thoughts as doubt begins to breed a fear of the unknown. I look up to see my family as they are busy living their lives and amidst their plans, peace replaces those thoughts. It will undoubtedly take some adjusting to a new family dynamic but the Lord surrounds us with people who love and support us regardless of our geographical location. Family isn't a group of people who settle for comfort and security in the place of love and excitement but rather the opposite. We grow into places of comfort and security after we foster growth with our family through love and togetherness.

None of my family members would be excited for my trip and leap of faith if they didn't know me and hadn't worked to build the relationships we have. I believe this is true of both families and relationships in general because the Lord says in Hebrews 10:24-25, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another." I think this is a concept that He'll be teaching me by giving me a new family during my time in Chile and through the work my team and I will be doing. Needless to say, this will be just as much of a challenge as adapting to the new culture will be but I have faith in the journey that God is guiding me down.

Although I sit around mountains of clothes that are currently making my room a borderline safety hazard, in just a few short hours I will be loading up to go to the airport to set sail for Chile and a whirlwind of new events. Mixed emotions are certainly setting in but I'm confident that a new camera, lots of prayer, and good company will push aside my pre-departure jitters and lay the foundation for the incredible learning experience ahead! Stay tuned for the international traveling chaos that is bound to ensue as I travel over 4,000 miles south of the equator!

No comments:

Post a Comment